WBC Orders Immediate Rematch Between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder

The second instalment to the Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury rivalry is now just one step closer to fruition as the World Boxing Council has given the heavyweight pair until February 5 to strike a deal for their highly-anticipated rematch. 

The governing body voted to order an immediate rematch between the current WBC heavyweight kingpin and the lineal heavyweight champion following their classic title bout last month at the Staples Arena in Los Angeles.

Modified Split

On Wednesday, the WBC formally ordered the immediate rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder, giving the heavyweight pair its green light to start the negotiations, though previous reports claimed that it is already ongoing.

“Consistent with the WBC board of governors voting regarding the direct rematch between WBC champion Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury, the WBC is hereby notifying both camps that the free negotiation period is opened and if there is no agreement between the parties a purse bid will be conducted by the WBC on Tuesday, February 5th.

The WBC also announced the modification of the usual split from 70-30 to 60-40, citing that Fury deserves bigger share because of his market value.

WBC Orders Immediate Rematch Between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder
(Photo: Instagram/Tyson Fury)

“The WBC has modified the 70-30 split and has confirmed a 60-40 split in favour of the champion Wilder considering the market value of Fury.”

A world titlist would typically earn 70% of the purse bid in a mandatory title fight while the remaining 30% would go to the challenger, but it can be modified by the sanctioning body depending on the case.

The purse bid for the Fury vs Wilder II would be 60-40 in favour of the American champion if both camps were not able to reach a deal before February 5.

WBC Orders Immediate Rematch Between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder
(Photo: Instagram/Deontay Wilder)

Target Date and Venue

On December 1, Wilder and Fury put the heavyweight division on notice after their nail-biting encounter in Los Angeles. After 12 intense rounds, the ringside judges scored 115-111 in favour of ‘The Bronze Bomber’, 114-110 for Fury,  and 113-113, resulting in a split decision draw.

Fury’s promoter Frank Warren has confirmed that negotiations for the rematch are now ongoing. And recently, he revealed the target date and venue for the return fight in an interview with ESPN.

“The venue is looking like the U.S., that’s where the money is. Tyson was disappointed with the judging with the last fight. As I was, so a lot of things need to be sorted, but the U.S. is where they want it. Probably in the second quarter.

“Vegas would be one of the options. I wouldn’t want to go back to California, I didn’t like working with the Californian commission. There were a lot of things we didn’t like there. Tyson is already in the gym working hard, ticking over. I think we would get it [the fight versus Wilder] before June.”

Relive Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury I in the video below:

(Featured Image Source: Instagram/Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder)

What do you think ?

Leave a Comment

Like what you're reading?

Subscribe to our top stories

Also on Ritely