American mixed martial artist Jorge Masvidal will finally return to the cage this year as the UFC booked him to square off with England’s Darren Till this March.
The Masvidal vs Till bout will serve as the main event of UFC on ESPN+ 5, which will take place at The O2 Arena in London on March 16, sources told MMA Fighting after an initial report by ESPN.
Breaking: Darren Till vs Jorge Masvidal will headline UFC Fight Night on March 16 in London on ESPN+, per Dana White. pic.twitter.com/xUXxyqoS8K
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) January 16, 2019
Let’s Fight In Your Backyard
Jorge Masvidal hasn’t fought since losing to Stephen Thompson at UFC 217 in November 2017. He was expected to face Nate Diaz at UFC 235 but the promotion decided to remove them from the fight card.
UFC President Dana White said in a media scrum at UFC 231 that the fight will push through but reports on the following week claimed that the Masvidal vs Diaz fight has been scrapped.
“Somebody was telling me earlier that we didn’t announce that? As far as I know, sitting right here right now, that fight’s on. As far as I know, that fight is on. I’ve been here since Tuesday. Unless something happened since Tuesday, which is very possible, it’s on.”
— Darren Till (@darrentill2) January 14, 2019
Earlier this week, “Gamebred” had an interesting exchange with the Liverpudlian on social media. He called out Till to a fight in his home soil and the latter gamely showed his enthusiasm.
“I hear you having the same probs I am trying to find someone to fight you in your backyard. I love fighting in other peoples backyards. I’m game if UFC can make it happen.”
The 34-year old is currently on a two-fight losing streak and has a 9-6 win loss record at UFC. Prior to his last two losses, Masvidal scored a huge victory over UFC veteran Donal Cerrone, which earned him the Performance of the Night honor.
After more than a year of absence and a series of failed agreements, Masvidal is finally on his way back to the Octagon, with a dangerous opponent in Darren Till waiting for him in his backyard.
Staying at 170
Meanwhile, Till will be staying in the welterweight division for this clash with Masvidal at UFC London and his plans to move at 185 will not happen at least until March.
The 26-year old expressed his interest on moving to different weight class after a failed attempt to dethrone Tyron Woodley at UFC 228. Till was submitted by the welterweight champ in the second round, which gave him his lone loss in his UFC record and ended a six-fight winning streak, which includes victories over Thompson and Cerrone.
He has collected five wins, one loss, and a draw since his UFC debut in 2015.
Both fighters are coming off a loss, but only one of them will return to winning track this March. Will it be Darren Till? Or will Jorge Masvidal cause an upset?
(Featured Image Source: Instagram)