Insomnia is slowly becoming one of the most common problems for adults. Sleepless nights often result in migraines, fatigue, low concentration, low memory and much more. The problem has become so widespread that countries like the United States hold a Sleep Awareness Week. Every year, since 2014, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine organizes a sleep week in the first half of March, with one day declared as World Sleep Day. And it is not just the United States; World Sleep Day is a global event with more than 100 countries participating.
For some people, insomnia becomes a severe and ongoing struggle; indeed, some people are in a constant battle with insomnia. Just so you can understand how common insomnia is and what the consequences are, let’s take a look at some statistics:
- 10% of people around the world have chronic insomnia disorder. This means three times per week they cannot sleep. The problem lasts for at least three months.
- 30 to 35% experience brief symptoms of insomnia.
- 15 to 20% of the people suffering from insomnia have short-term disorder, which means their disorder lasts less than three months.
- According to studies, employees with insomnia lose eight days of performance per year.
- The U.S. economy loses more than $60 billion in lost work performance per year, all of which is due to insomnia.
Symptoms of insomnia
How do you know if you are suffering from insomnia? Well, for starters, you won’t be sleeping well. Sleepless and restless nights are a common situation. Other symptoms include:
- Inability to concentrate
- Inability to focus
- Poor memory
- Daytime sleepiness
- Low energy
- Low motivation
- Mood disturbance
- Increased errors
What you can do about insomnia
Every problem has a solution, and I’m sure that this simple remedy will help you get rid of those sleepless nights. You need just two ingredients and a few minutes to prepare it, and you’ll be ready to hit the bed.
- 1 tablespoon of wormwood
- 500 ml (17 oz) apple cider vinegar
How to make it
- Put the wormwood in the apple cider vinegar.
- Let the wormwood stay in the vinegar for at least 5 days.
- Moisten a cloth in the solution and apply it on your forehead before you go to sleep.
You can also use this remedy to calm stomach pain by applying the compress on your abdomen.
And if you want to calm your nerves and make sure you sleep tight at night, I have one more remedy to relieve stress. Drink one cup of warm, diluted apple cider vinegar in the morning. The drink will help you relax, relieve tension, and calm your nerves.