UFC two-weight champion Amanda ‘Lioness’ Nunes has added another former champion to her list of victims after defeating Holly Holm in their bantamweight title showdown at UFC 239.
Nunes sizzled in the co-main event of the July 6 fight card, coming out with a dominating performance against Holm.
Before this title fight, she scored a historic win over Cris Cyborg in her move to the featherweight class last December at UFC 232.
That’s where Nunes made quick work of one of the most dominant fighters in women’s MMA as she finished the featherweight champion in just 51 seconds to become the third fighter in the promotion to hold two different belts simultaneously, joining the ranks of two-division champs, Conor McGregor and Daniel Cormier.
Holm, meanwhile, last fought in June and earned a decision win against Megan Anderson.
On Saturday night, ‘Lioness’ once again lived up to expectations as she finished the ex-bantamweight queen with a vicious head kick in the first round of their fight.
Watch it in the video below:
Amanda Nunes KOs Holly Holm in the 1st round 🤭
— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) July 7, 2019
AMANDA NUNES WITH THE HEADKICK!
— The Champion Picks (@ChampionPicks) July 7, 2019
Women’s MMA GOAT?
The Brazilian champion told Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview she knew that the finish would happen, giving Holm the first knockout loss of her career.
“People say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but this belt is going home with me,” she said, per MMA Fighting.
“During my warmup, I knew I was going to get her. I told my coaches I wanted to knock her out the same way she knocks people out.”
With the win against Holm, Nunes has now beaten all former bantamweight queens including Ronda Rousey and Misha Tate.
“I did it tonight. She was the only former champion I didn’t beat yet. Now, I beat her and I’m very happy.”
It was also the fourth straight successful title-defence of her bantamweight title since winning it against Tate in 2016.
Nunes is now just two wins short of tying Rousey’s record of six title-defences.
And STILLLL 🏆
— Watch UFC 239 live on BT Sport Box Office (@btsportufc) July 7, 2019
Arguably the best female fighter in the UFC, Nunes has collected 11 wins in her career including victories over Sheila Gaff, Germaine de Randamie, Shayna Baszler, Sara McMann, Raquel Pennington and Valentina Shevchenko (twice).
Ahead of UFC 239, Nunes has proclaimed herself as the greatest fighter of all-time (male or female) and vowed to continue making history in the competition.
Here are the full results of the UFC 239 Fight Card (via CBS Sports):
- Jon Jones def. Thiago Santos via split decision (47-48, 48-47, 48-47)
- Amanda Nunes (c) def. Holly Holm via first-round TKO (head kick)
- Jorge Masvidal def. Ben Askren via first-round KO (knee)
- Jan Blachowicz def. Luke Rockhold via second-round KO (strikes)
- Michael Chiesa def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
In her last seven fights she’s beaten:
Valentina Shevchenko twice
— bet365 (@bet365) July 7, 2019
- Arnold Allen def. Gilbert Melendez via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27
- Marlon Vera def. Nohelin Hernandez via second-round submission (rear-naked choke)
- Claudia Gadelha def. Randa Markos via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Song Yadong def. Alejandro Perez via first-round KO (strike)
- (Featured Image Source: UFC/Twitter and Instagram/MMA Universe)