MMA manager Ali Abdelaziz has confirmed that a rematch between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor will happen.
The lightweight pair is currently serving lengthy suspensions for their roles in the infamous UFC 229 post-fight brawl.
Nurmagomedov will not be eligible to fight until July as he confirmed that he would not enrol in an anti-bullying program to shorten the suspension while the Irish star will be able to return to the cage by April.
The Russian champion has thrown cold water on their potential rematch, insisting that his rival is not deserving of another shot at a UFC gold after an emphatic loss to Khabib in October.
But Abdelaziz thinks otherwise.
The controversial MMA manager told TMZ on Saturday that the McGregor vs Nurmagomedov II is already a lock-in and can happen anytime, anywhere as their rivalry is far from over.
“It Wasn’t A Close Fight”
Khabib Nurmagomedov passed the biggest test of his career with flying colours when he dominated Conor McGregor at UFC 299 last year.
He submitted the Irishman in the fourth round en route to the 27th win of his professional MMA career in as many outings.
With the massive success of their first fight – being the second largest gate and the highest pay-per-view buys in UFC history – a rematch could likely steer the promotion to another extraordinary feat.
According to his father, Abdulmanap, they already turned down a $15 million offer to rematch with the former double champion.
The Nevada-based promotion would have to break the bank to lure Nurmagomedov into fighting the Irishman for the second time as his camp is demanding a $30-million paycheck.
But for the second time, Khabib shot down possibilities of a return fight with “The Notorious.”
Visiting Australia for the next leg of his promotional tour last month, Nurmagomedov appeared on the country’s MMA show, Submission Radio, and revealed what’s next for him after a successful UFC 229 campaign.
“If you talk about it, my father thinks different, Javier [Mendez] thinks different, my management thinks different.”
“But when the athletic commission makes a decision, we’re gonna sit with my old team and make a decision what I’m gonna do next.”
“But right now, if you guys ask me, of course, he [Conor McGregor does] not deserve a title shot rematch, Conor, because he lost, he tapped.
“It wasn’t a close fight. I dominated him everywhere in every aspect, and I beat him. Like a told, I smashed him. Why we need a rematch?”
Not Yet Over
However, his manager thinks there is unfinished business between the lightweight rivals.
In a recent interview with TMZ Sports, Abdelaziz warned McGregor to enhance his private security as the rematch might happen when Khabib crosses path with him anytime, anywhere.
“This dude better beef up security everywhere he goes.”
“This fight will happen in the street, in the parking garage, under a bridge … this shit is not over. It’s not. Especially when you keep running your mouth.”
“Conor McGregor is a f**king full-blown, piece of sh*t, scumbag. That’s what people want.”
“Let him talk whatever he wants to say. At the end of the day, we understand the more he talks, the more he’s gonna get whooped.”
Last week, Abdelaziz slammed the Irish star after he bragged about landing the final blow on the eve of UFC 229 brawl, following NSAC’s ruling to the case.
“Shut the fuck up you was a broken man who tapped out and gave up. You got outwrestled, outgrappled, outstruck, dropped you can’t compete with these caucus lions.”
(Featured Image Source: Instagram/Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov)