Khabib Nurmagomedov’s beef with bitter rival Conor McGregor continues as the UFC lightweight champion fired his latest shots to the former two-division champion.
“The Eagle” threw cold water on their potential rematch as he insisted that the Irishman is undeserving of another shot at the lightweight title following Khabib’s lopsided victory in their first encounter in October.
Khabib Nurmagomedov passed the biggest test of his career with flying colours when he dominated Conor McGregor at UFC 299 last year. He submitted the Irishman in the fourth round en route to his 27th win in as many outings.
With the huge success of their first encounter – being the second largest gate and the highest pay-per-view buys in UFC history – a rematch could likely steer the promotion to another massive feat.
But according to Khabib’s father, Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov, the Nevada-based promotion needs to break the bank to lure Nurmagomedov into fighting the Irishman for the second time. He also revealed that their camp has rejected a lucrative offer for the McGregor rematch.
“They offered $15 million to rematch with Conor. But we want $30 million, guys. $30 million!”
Abdulmanap also believes that there are other contenders who are more deserving of the title shot after Khabib’s last meeting with McGregor turned out to be one-sided.
“Some skills have improved at McGregor, there are moments. There is growth, we notice it. There are guys who deserve and wait for Khabib. We must respect them as fighters. This point should also be taken into account. Both the Dustin Poirier and [Tony] Ferguson. Ferguson, I think it deserves it.”
Khabib echoed his father’s sentiment in an interview with reporters in Australia on Thursday. Asked about a potential rematch with the ex-double champ, Nurmagomedov insisted that Conor does not deserve another crack after failing to walk the talk at UFC 229.
“He doesn’t deserve this. Rematch for what? Last fight, he talked, too. When we go inside the cage he don’t do nothing.”
As for his next opponent, Khabib said he is willing to face anyone but he has to wait first for the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s final decision on the ugly post-UFC 229 brawl. “The Eagle” is currently under indefinite suspension and is expected to pay a hefty fine for his involvement in the fracas.
Nurmagomedov and McGregor have been going back and forth in social media recently. “The Notorious” claimed in his Instagram post that the Russian champ was bitching to the referee during their UFC 229 clash.
“The same thing I said to Khabib at the end of round 3. My round. Don’t be b*tching! Every single round b*tching to the referee. He was even bitching in the fourth round from mount position. It baffled me. Don’t be b*tching.” Common knowledge I would think for a fighting man. Don’t be a b*tch, b*tching.”
Khabib responded by posting the photo of the UFC 229 submission along with the caption, “You will live with this shame all your life” and the hashtags “tap machine” and “mactapper.”
(Featured Image Source: Instagram/Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor)