It is hard to track how many lashes we lose each day. However, some experts estimate it is between one and four eyelashes falling out on a daily basis. That is considered normal.
Some women, however, lose less or more due to different causes of eyelashes falling out. Some of them are due to our lifestyle habits, and others are due to medical conditions.
It is an every girl’s dream to have long and beautiful eyelashes. However, it is not always possible. At some point of time you tend to lose your eyelashes.
In order to grow them long and thick, you need to understand why are eyelashes falling out. It can be a cause of concern, so read on. And we will also talk some natural ways you can grow your eyelashes long.
With that in mind, let’s look at the causes first.
The complex name is a condition which is linked with the psychological state of a person. The simple explanation is an impulse control disorder . It is a disorder that can often cause the sufferer to pull out his own hair.
When suffering from such condition, patients tend to pull hair from their scalp, eyelashes, and eyebrows. So basically, it is not a normal reason why are eyelashes falling out. Most patients pluck each hair out at the roots.
The condition usually starts at early childhood or adolescence. In some cases, the trichotillomania tangle coincides with the onset of puberty. And while some individuals grow old of the habit, others continue this harmful behavior well throughout their adulthood.
Most women nowadays have some kind of thyroid condition . Whether it is an overactive or underactive thyroid gland, both conditions can result eyelashes falling out.
Overactive thyroid gland is unable to tolerate heat, and is accompanied by symptoms like difficulty sleeping, weight loss, headaches, and swelling of the lower neck.
The hair breaks off, and can result in bald patches, as well as loss of eyelashes and eyebrows. An underactive thyroid gland, on the other hand, is characterized by intolerance to cold, constipation, weight gain, and dry skin. And as the hair becomes thin, dry, and brittle, the eyelashes become sparse .
Allergy to mascara
Not all people can wear mascara. Believe it or not, but some women are just allergic to mascara . The reason is most mascara products are made with some chemical content.
These chemicals can cause eyelashes falling out, and some of them cause allergies. If you are prone to allergies, that might be the reason why you are losing eyelashes. Individuals with allergies to airborne materials such as dust should avoid wearing a mascara.
In addition, some mascara products can cause conjunctivitis and dermatitis. These allergic reactions almost always affect the eyelashes as well as your eyes.
Another health condition that can cause eyelashes falling out due to hair loss [5, 6]. This condition is a disorder of the immune system causing the immune cells to attack the hair follicles. As a result, hair starts to fall out.
The disorder can cause hair loss on the entire body, or just on one area such as the beard, scalp, eyelashes, or eyebrows. There is no cure for the condition, but it can be treated with topical products.
The therapy for cancer comes with its own sets of disadvantages. Of course, the primary goal is to cure cancer by killing off cancer cells. The problem is that chemotherapy also kills some of the healthy cells. And it has a direct effect on hair follicles, causing hair loss .
The effect is mostly short term, but it can be long term as well. If you are suffering from a long term hair loss and eyelashes falling out, you should consult your doctor before trying any product for hair growth.
A common inflammation of the eyelids, blepharitis is caused by excessive growth of a bacteria found on the skin . Sometimes, it can also be caused by blockage of the eyelid’s oil glands or allergies.
The condition causes itchy and red eyelids, and sometimes swollen. The condition can be treated by proper eyelid hygiene.
Sadly, but true, most of the causes of eyelashes falling out are due to our poor hygiene and lifestyle habits. For example, this includes rubbing too hard when trying to remove makeup.
Mascara is one of the hardest things to remove, and rubbing too hard will cause eyelashes loss along with the removed mascara. Sleeping with mascara on is just as troublesome.
In terms of lashes and makeup, there is also a proper way of removing false lashes and lash extensions. Doing it wrong will cause eyelashes loss.
Last, but not least of the lifestyle habits is curling. If you are a devout eyelash curler, be ready for some eyelashes loss. The curler puts traction on the hairs and can pull hairs out, especially if done over mascara.
How to grow eyelashes?
Now that we know the causes of eyelashes falling out, let’s talk about some natural ways you can reverse the process. In other words, how to stimulate your eyelashes to grow and get some lengthy and thick lashes?
- Castor oil is a powerful follicle stimulating and nourishing product . It will help you grow lustrous and voluminous lashes and fight micro-organisms that hamper the growth of your lashes. Feel free to apply it on your lashes to stimulate growth
- Another oil you can use is olive oil. It is a well-known remedy for thicker hair growth, and can work on eyelashes as well . Rich in vitamin E and oleic acid, olive oil will add volume to your lashes and help keep them looking dark
- An eyelid massage will come in handy as well, as massaging promotes growth and circulation. Massaging your eyelids will promote blood flow to the hair follicles, which means more nutrients that can stimulate hair growth and prevent thinning of your lashes
- Aloe vera is another well-known remedy in the cosmetic industry . You can use it for long and thick eyelashes. Aloe vera is rich in vitamins and minerals that nourish your hair follicles and promote growth. Most importantly, aloe vera will keep your eyelashes moisturized
- Last, but not least, lemon peels can also add volume to your eyelashes. Rich in vitamin C, vitamin B, and folic acid, lemon peels are great for promoting growth of your eyelashes. You can even mix it with olive or castor oil for maximum benefits
- Avoid using old makeup. Makeup products have an expiration date, and you should avoid using them after that timeframe
- And most importantly, make sure to wash your face at night. Sleeping with makeup is one of the primary and most common causes of eyelashes falling out