Last November, Dustin Poirier was supposed to meet Nate Diaz at the opposite side of the Octagon for UFC 230 in New York. However, ‘The Diamond’ was forced to withdraw due to an injury — and apparently for his opponent ‘over-negotiating’ the matchup.
Poirier vs Diaz might have not happened last year but the bad blood between the lightweight fighters is certainly still there. This was after the third-ranked title contender slammed the Stockton native for saying that Poirier ‘bitched’ out of the match.
‘The Diamond’ now insists that it was the younger Diaz who messed up the negotiation for their supposed UFC 230 meeting.
“I had a hip injury that I was training through.
Then when he kept playing around, playing games, and [the UFC] started talking about replacement opponents and stuff, then we were like ‘ok, let’s go get this hip fixed,’”
Poirier recently told BJ Penn.com.
Brett Okamoto of ESPN broke the news on Twitter in October saying:
“Breaking: Dustin Poirier has suffered an undisclosed injury, per multiple sources. He is off UFC 230 co-main event against Nate Diaz in New York.”
Breaking: Dustin Poirier has suffered an undisclosed injury, per multiple sources. He is off UFC 230 co-main event against Nate Diaz in New York.
— Brett Okamoto (@bokamotoESPN) October 10, 2018
‘The Diamond’ was supposed to welcome Diaz back in the Octagon in his highly-anticipated return following a two-year layoff on last year’s Madison Square Garden pay-per-view event headlined by Daniel Cormier vs Derrick Lewis.
On Saturday, the 33-year-old took a shot at Poirier after he posted a video of him preparing for the cancelled co-main event match.
“A little footage from my last fight before my opponent bitched up… #Champlife,” Diaz wrote.
However, the 30-year-old Poirier has a forthright response to Diaz’s claim of him bitching up the match.
Talking to ESPN, the mixed martial artist who’s scheduled to fight Max Holloway in April detailed how Nate and the UFC messed up the rivalry.
“Be real. Be real, man. Tell the truth. Tell them how you were playing games [ahead of UFC 230], how you over-negotiated, how you didn’t take the main event spot when the UFC offered it to us,” Poirier said.
“They were offering me, different opponents, maybe a backup cause they knew Nate was out of the fight. So much stuff happened. Look, maybe me and Nate will cross paths one day, I don’t know.
But just be real, dude. You preach all this stuff, practice what you preach, man. Be real, tell the truth.”
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) February 26, 2019
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/Dustin Poirier and Instagram/Nate Diaz