No matter how healthy a life we try to lead, the reality is that we live in a fast-paced and stress-filled environment. Every day, we are exposed to a number of toxins, be it in the form of food, pollution, or anything in between. The kidneys are the organs that keep us healthy by eliminating those toxins. Anyone who has ever suffered from even a mild case of kidney stones knows that the pain is almost unbearable.
Toxins can affect every organ in your body, but the kidneys are the ones filtering everything that comes into your body. They filter not just toxins, but also waste from the bloodstream. And over time, our kidneys become overworked and we are left to suffer the consequences: the pain caused by kidney stones.
So, before going into how to detox your kidneys, let me just quickly remind you how your kidneys keep you healthy, and why you need to cleanse and detox them from time to time.
How Your Kidneys Keep You Healthy
Kidneys work hard for you. And they never stop. It’s only natural that you feel fatigued or tired sometimes: your kidneys are just tired of processing toxins. You can help your kidneys by eating healthier food.
Here is everything that your kidneys do for you:
- Keep the composition of your blood balanced
- Control blood pressure
- Control the balance of electrolytes
- Regulate the amount of fluids in your body
- Produce hormones that are essential for your health
And that’s on top of filtering toxins through the kidneys. I don’t want to go too much into the biological process, but the byproduct of the work your kidneys do is urine. Urine is not just the removal of water from the body; it’s a process of selective filtration that happens within the kidneys.
And if you think your kidneys have it easy, just remember this: More than 190 quarts of blood move through your two kidneys on a daily basis. And your kidneys produce about 1.6 quarts of urine per day.
Why Kidney Detox?
Why should you detox your kidneys from time to time? Diseases of the kidneys can range from mild infection to severe problems like kidney failure. A common issue is inflammation of the kidneys. There’s also kidney sludge, the result of accumulated crystalized minerals within the kidneys that prevent your kidneys from producing urine.
That being said, let’s take a look at few kidney detox recipes. All of them contain honey.
Honey and Celery
- 2 cups of fresh celery leaves
- 4 tablespoons of honey
How to make it
- Juice the celery leaves, and then add honey to the juice.
- A few times per day, eat one spoonful of the juice.
Honey and Olive Oil
- ½ cup of honey
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 lemon
How to make it
- Mix the honey and olive oil. Squeeze the lemon and add to the mixture.
- Eat one spoonful of the mixture, three times per day. This remedy works extremely well for kidney stones.
Honey and Horseradish
- 1 glass of horseradish juice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
How to make it
- You can consume the juice and honey separately. Or you can mix them together. It really doesn’t matter. These two help your kidneys detox on their own, but when you combine them, you get a more potent mixture.