With Anthony Joshua’s desire to butt in the successful Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury boxing rivalry, Dillian Whyte recently had a heated argument with AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn. The WBC silver titlist revealed that AJ turned down a $50m offer to fight Wilder last year.
Dillian Whyte to Eddie Hearn on Wilder’s $50mill offer to AJ ~ ‘I’ve seen that the money was there’. pic.twitter.com/wG6m20V4nD
— BOXING CORNER 2️⃣4️⃣/7️⃣ (@boxingcorner247) February 3, 2019
Two weeks after Wilder’s heavyweight showdown against Fury made history, Joshua came out offering the WBC champion a place and date to finally turn their unification match into reality. Hearn has also offered the ‘Bronze Bomber’ a good split to accept.
“He (Wilder) offered Joshua $50m and he didn’t take it. I’ve been over to America and I know from a real source. I’ve seen that the money was there,” Whyte told Hearn via iFL TV on Saturday night.
Continuing, Whyte, who was also rumoured to fight AJ on April, revealed that he had spent time with Showtime’s Stephen Espinoza; claiming that the $50-million contract was real.
“Espinoza said the dough was there. I know [your] team AJ first, so I’m not getting involved,” Whyte explained.
Speaking about his potential match against AJ, Whyte also confirmed in a recent interview that negotiations are dead. “It is not happening at the minute, so we move on,” he told Sky Sports.
“The good thing is I am in a position where I have got options. We wanted the fight, I think they wanted the fight as well, but sometimes negotiations break down.
“I believe I have a certain value, bring a certain value to the fight. I need the belief that this is what he wants to give me.”
Hearn, on the other side, hopes that Fury turns down the offer to fight Wilder anew. The Matchroom executive thinks that Fury winning the rematch would stop a unification match from happening this year.
“I pray that Fury doesn’t commit to a rematch because he doesn’t have to in the purse bid. If he does that, he’s mad because it will kill the Joshua fight should he win,” he said via the Independent.
“In that respect, it’s better for us if Wilder wins the rematch, especially if Joshua fights Miller in America in June. That starts making the $50m offer that Wilder made Joshua [last year] look like peanuts.”
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/Deontay Wilder and Instagram/Anthony Joshua