Report: Donald Cerrone Could Be Next In Line For Conor McGregor

In a lengthy social media post last month, Conor McGregor revealed that he is willing to face another fighter if the Ultimate Fighting Championship does not grant him an immediate rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov. 

“I will be back with my confidence high. Fully prepared. If it is not the rematch right away, no problem. I will face the next in line. It’s all me always, anyway.”

And that person next in line could be UFC veteran, Donald Cerrone. The Irish Mirror reported on Monday that ‘The Notorious’ is being linked as the next assignment for ‘Cowboy’ after a successful outing at UFC Fight Night 139 in Denver, Colorado last weekend.

“I Will Be Back”

The 30-year old McGregor returned to the cage last month and faced the Russian pride in a bid to recapture the UFC lightweight belt. His highly-awaited return in the professional scene did not go as planned as Khabib showed his monster form to dominate the entire match. Conor’s mind games in the pre-fight pressers went all for naught as the defending champion demonstrated an incredible display of composure in their encounter to come out with a convincing fourth-round submission win. 

“Although winning the early exchanges in four, he dips under again and I end up in a bad position with over three on the clock. I work to regain position and end up upright, with my back to the fence. A stable position. Here, however, I made a critical error of abandoning my overhook at this crucial time, exposing the back and I end up beaten fair and square.”

“What can I say? It was a great fight and it was my pleasure. I will be back with my confidence high. Fully prepared. What can I say? It was a great fight and it was my pleasure. I will be back with my confidence high. Fully prepared.”

Lightweight Return

Meanwhile, Cerrone made quick work of Perry in the co-headlining act of the UFC Fight Night 139 at the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado last Saturday. “Cowboy” forced his opponent to tap out in the latter part of the opening frame after locking in an armbar.

Fighting in front of the home crowd, Cerrone essayed an inspired performance, which catapulted him in the history books in the day when the promotion celebrated its 25th anniversary. The 35-year old mixed martial artist became the most winningest and the fighter with the most number of finishes in UFC history. After the historic win, the 35-year old said that he could be leaving the welterweight division to return at 155 as the UFC already offered him an “exciting opponent” for his lightweight return.

”There is someone, they already came up and told me. There’s your clickbait. They told me the who for once in my life first. 155. It’s very exciting. Guy’s very exciting. You’ll like it. You’ll all like it. I don’t care who, I just want to know when! I’m coming after that belt. Khabib, I’m coming. Cowboy’s back.”

McGregor’s name came out as one of the biggest possibilities. Since both of them want a crack at Nurmagomedov, they could be facing each other in a fight and the winner gets the title shot.

Watch the full interview in the video below:

Cerrone and McGregor had a brief verbal exchange three years ago, where ‘Cowboy’ said the Irish star would not cause him any problem, while ‘The Notorious’ called him a slow and a stiff fighter.

(Featured Image Source: Instagram/Conor McGregor and Cowboy Cerrone)

What do you think ?

Leave a Comment

Like what you're reading?

Subscribe to our top stories

Also on Ritely