WWE Star Brock Lesnar has been linked to an intriguing fight against current UFC heavyweight champion, Daniel Cormier, this year. The Universal champion is almost done constructing the road back to the Octagon, but there is still one last obstacle he needs to hurdle before making a return trip to professional mixed martial arts.
Based on a report from MMA Weekly, the 41-year old athlete has yet to settle the hefty fine served by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for a failed drug test in his last UFC fight, which could prevent him from seeing actions in Las Vegas.
The WWE star made a surprise appearance at the UFC 226 in July, where Daniel Cormier snatched the heavyweight strap from Stipe Miocic, following a first-round technical knockout. After the win, DC called out Lesnar and asked him to get his ass in the octagon. The former UFC champ accepted Cormier’s invitation and the two had a heated exchange in the cage.
A month after their WWE-like confrontation, UFC president Dana White said that the promotion is committed to making the Cormier-Lesnar fight happen in 2019 as the 41-year old giant will become eligible to compete again by January 8.
— Sporting News MMA (@sn_mma) January 2, 2019
Lesnar has rejoined the USADA testing pool last year and has been tested five times but reports claimed that one of his samples has been removed from its database. But the agency explained that it was just a result of a technical glitch and the issue has been fixed.
“USADA updates the Athlete Test History page of the UFC/USADA website on a weekly basis. During an update on the week of October 15th, we experienced a technical issue that resulted in the information on the page being displayed incorrectly,” stressed USADA spokesperson Adam Woullard.
Lesnar’s last appearance in the cage happened in 2016 when he clashed with Mark Hunt at UFC 200 held in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was a fight he essentially won but was overturned into a no-contest after he tested positive to a banned substance called clomiphene.
The test results also forced the NSAC to serve him a one-year suspension and a quarter-million dollar fine, which, according to a recent report, has yet to be paid by the WWE star. NSAC executive director Bob Bennett said that Lesnar has to settle this fine to be cleared from suspension. If not, he would not be eligible to challenge DC for the heavyweight belt in Sin City.
“Lesnar is still suspended based on his fine. He is required to pay the fine or set up a payment plan with the Attorney General’s Office (to get cleared from the suspension),” Bennett told MMA Weekly in July.
— Sun Sport (@SunSport) January 6, 2019
The “Beast Incarnate” took home a disclosed $2.5 million from his stint at UFC 200. His potential showdown with the former two-division champion would likely guarantee him another massive fight paycheck. But before he can make another bank, Lesnar has to settle his obligations first with NSAC, or else, he would be seeing his heavyweight title fight in Las Vegas on the back-burner.
(Featured Image Source: Instagram)