At 43 years old, Anderson Silva is not yet calling it a career in MMA.
The former UFC middleweight champion hasn’t fought since a unanimous decision win over Derek Brunson in February 2017. In a recent interview for Portal do Vale Tudo, “The Spider’s” coach Rogerio Camoes revealed Silva is preparing for his Octagon comeback in January 2019.
It seems like the returning fighter isn’t ruling out the possibility of fighting former two-division champion Conor McGregor who previously expressed his desire to fight the middleweight great someday.
Conor McGregor vs Anderson Silva next?
“I’d be interested in an Anderson Silva bout,” @TheNotoriousMMA says. “I swear to God. Anderson is a legend of the game. I’m sure he’s hunting for a few quid, as well.”
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 2, 2018
“Let’s Make It Happen”
Silva expressed great delight in McGregor’s call out and responded with an Instagram post saying “It would be an honour.”
Translating a part of the statement in Portuguese, the middleweight legend said:
“It would be an honour to test myself with Conor McGregor. He’s an unorthodox fighter and has proven he must be respected. Let’s make it happen.”
Fighting at 179 lbs.
Now, Camoes confirmed that this fight would likely happen at a 179 lbs catchweight and that both fighters would be interested in the bout. In an interview, Silva’s coach explained:
“If you really force him, Anderson Silva can make 179, 180 pounds. I was in Los Angeles one month ago and we talked about his return. It was nice because he called me up the next day and said he had a fight lined up and was just waiting for an opponent.
“There was this McGregor thing, too. I was at UFC 200 when Anderson fought Daniel Cormier, I remember Jorge Guimares talking to me. I remember Jorge talking to Lorenzo Fertitta about matching up Anderson with Conor if he defeated Cormier. McGregor was in his prime. I was by his side and he said that they thought it was a good fight, they were interested. That’s when it all began.”
McGregor, as we all know, is coming out of a fourth-round submission defeat against the undisputed lightweight king Khabib Nurmagomedov. The future became unpredictable after the momentous bout since McGregor is now eyeing for a rematch.
Silva, on the other hand, will emerge from a two-year fighting hiatus in January. He is best known for his legendary 16-fight UFC winning streak. It was the highest title defence streak in UFC history until Demetrious Johnson recently broke the record.
Featured Image Credit: Instagram/Conor McGregor and Instagram/Anderson Silva