It’s been two years since “How I Met Your Mother” ended, and we still cannot get over the finale. Some people hate it, some people love it. But no matter what is your opinion on the finale, there is no denying that How I Met your Mother influenced our lives in so many different ways. You don’t usually watch a sitcom for some wise words, but HIMYM dishes some pretty good wisdom. Barney, Ted, Lilly, Marshal and Robin taught us so many things about life, we have to go back to them from time to time. That being said, here are 42 of the best quotes from our favorite show.
1.You may think your only choices are to swallow your anger or throw it in someone’s face, but there’s a third option: You can just let it go, and only when you do that is it really gone and you can move forward – Ted
Ted spent so many years trying to let Robin go, and he finally did in the final season. But through the years, it took everything Ted had to let Robin go, just so he can find a new love interest. We all need to move forward in life. As the saying goes, “Life goes on”.
2. Because sometimes, even if you know how something’s going to end, that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ride – Ted
One of the best quotes I’ve heard about life. Yes, sometimes we all know something is not going to work out. But that doesn’t mean that an adventure here and there hurts. You just have to enjoy while it lasts, and carry about the consequences later. Enjoy the moment, if you like.
3. Whenever I’m sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead –Barney
They should print this on every motivational poster everywhere around the world. Nothing beats pep talk from Barney Stinson. While he got sad several times through the show, he always returned more awesome than before.
4. We struggle so hard to hold on to these things that we know are gonna disappear eventually. And that’s really noble – Lily
Through the course of the show, letting go and holding on to things was a common theme. Ted was holding on to Robin for so long. And according to Lily, holding on is noble, even though we have to let things go sometimes.
5. That’s how it goes kids. The friends, neighbors, drinking buddies, and partners in crime you love so much when you’re young, as the years go by, you just lose touch. You will be shocked, kids, when you discover how easy it is in life to part ways with people forever. That’s why, when you find someone you want to keep around, you do something about it – Ted
I would use this for a wedding ceremony speech. Wouldn’t you? When you find that special someone you want to be around, you have to do something. Otherwise, you might lose that person. Forever!
6. If you keep giving up on people so quickly, you’re gonna miss out on something great – Robin
We rarely heard Robin speak on love during the show. She was not your prototype woman, she was more of a manly woman. But every now and then, Robin dished some wise words on love. And she is right, you cannot give up on people quickly.
7. If you’re looking for the word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want no matter how much it destroys you, it’s love. And when you love someone you just, you…you don’t stop, ever – Ted
The quote goes later for how you have to fight always for the person you love, and that you cannot stop fighting for. If you give up fighting, then it is not love. But for that one person you love, you fight to the very end. Because as we saw it, Robin and Ted end up together. Who knows, you might end up with your Robin.